Saturday, April 18, 2009

Laughing with Lola

Lola keeps us laughing all the time these days. She is so funny and smart. The girl is constantly surprising us with what she knows or notices. It is hard to remember all the things I want to share when I actually get around to posting here, but I hope you enjoy the following quips as much as I enjoy her.

- Lola was walking around the house the other day yelling, "I'm the king of the castle!" at the top of her lungs. I don't know where she came up with that but she was so confident that I didn't have the heart to tell her she is only the princess.

- She has been really helpful and concerned with me having to prick my finger and take shots so often for diabetes. She always asks to help me with the alcohol wipes and I thank her for being such a great nurse. (She loves the smell of rubbing alcohol; I hope she gets over that.) A few days ago we were working outside and I said something about thinking my blood sugar was crashing. After a while, I came inside to check it and get our lunch ready. After a few minutes, Lola asked Randy where I was. He told her he didn't know. Then she said, "Oh, she's probably just checking her blood sugar."

- Lola's favorite nighttime show is Dancing With The Stars. She always makes one of us get up and dance with her and the other one had better be watching. Honestly, it is quite hard for us to enjoy the show ourselves. Last week, we were watching the results show and one of the exhibition dances when Maksim lifted Karina in the air and spun her around. Lola gasped and exclaimed, "They can't do that!" When I finally figured out why she was so upset, I reassured her that they were not being judged and that it was okay for them to do a lift in this dance. She didn't understand the concept of being judged and just shrugged her shoulders and gave me a look that I'm sure meant, "Mom, you are crazy. They aren't suposed to do lifts." How does a 3.5 year-old understand that lifts are illegal in this competition... especially when she spends more time dancing than watching?

-Lola and I were driving down the road when a weather forecast came on the radio. The forecaster said there was lightning all around us and it would continue to thunder and lightning all evening so be prepared for continued storms. We hadn't seen any lightning all day and the sunset was beautiful through the clouds around us. Lola said, "Mommy, I don't see any lightning anywhere." I told her I didn't either and she said, "But he tells us there is! That's so silly. Why would he say that?" I was surprised that she was listening so closely to the forecaster and that she was so frustrated with him.

- Randy was putting away a couple of loads of laundry (Bless that man!) and Lola said to him, "You don't have a lot of hands so it takes you a long time to put those clothes up." Randy replied, "Yeah." Then Lola said, "Spiders have lots of hands, they could do it really fast."

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

She is so insightful! I bet she keeps you on your toes!

sharalee said...

things like this make me nervous about having kids. i wonder what sort of shite they will pick up from me!

:-) but it is so amazing to see how much they understand